I can’t take credit for these bean burgers, but I can tell you that this recipe, which I saw on Oh She Glows, is a new personal favorite. I made a few small changes to the original by halving the recipe, using a little less flour, omitting the paprika and onion, and adding sesame seeds, so I decided to post my adaptation. Enjoy!
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- Juice from 1/4 lemon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment. In a food processor, process the garlic and carrot. Now add the chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, and cumin. Process until fully combined.
2. Add in the flour and process again. Don’t be afraid to give the processor little breaks or to stop every so often to stir. Finally, stir in the sunflower seeds. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Spoon about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter into baking sheet, leaving about 3-4 inches between each scoop. Flatten each patty until it’s about 1/4 inch thick.
4. Bake for 20 minutes. Gently flip the burgers and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Burgers will be golden brown when ready and slightly firm. Allow to cool and firm up before storing.