I only get sick “for real” about once a year, so it’s only natural that this event should coincide with finals. I guess my immune system leaves me with no choice but to study in bed with tea. I totally fell asleep studying GI nutrition therapy last night and may or may not have dreamt about assessing a patient with a blind loop.
In better news, I made pumpkin black bean soup today.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz can black beans (low sodium=bueno)
- 1 15-oz can canned pumpkin
- 1 15-oz can diced or stewed tomatoes
- 2 c water
- chili powder
- red pepper flakes
- Wash hands obsessively. Pour yourself a cup of tea. If you’re not already sick, add a shot of whiskey and toast to your good health. Or mine.
- In a large pot, saute garlic in olive oil on medium heat.
- Add beans, pumpkin, and tomato, then spices.
- Add water and stir well.
- Allow to simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally. You can also use an immersion blender to puree it all, but no way was I up to the challenge this afternoon.
Serve with crusty bread or Ezekiel English Muffins, which I just found out are f-ing amazing!
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.