I am not a dessert person—at least not when it comes to cooking. Ask me for a cake, and a few hours later I will present you with bastardized muffin-tart-pastry things that sort of allude to the idea of whatever cake was supposed to happen. Or you’ll get soup and an apology. Baking feels too much like chemistry class and therefore causes me serious anxiety, which inevitably needs to clumsiness and an inability to read and absorb instructions.
Snacks that happen to be sweet, however, are a different story. This Chex mix was perfect for a recent potluck celebration to celebrate a friend’s birthday. No fuss, but tons of flavor. It’s loosely based off my superfoood granola recipe, which uses coconut oil and a mix of dried fruit. This is a cinch to customize, though. A great addition, I think, would be shredded coconut.
- 9 cups chocolate Chex
- 1 cup mix dried cherries, blueberries, and strawberries
- pinch sea salt (optional)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix cereal and dried fruit in a large bowl
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and coconut on HIGH (about 1 minute). Stir and add vanilla. Microwave another 30 second if needed.
- Pour liquid over cereal and mix well.
- Cool on waxed paper. Store in an airtight container.
Are you a dessert person?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.