Okay, so maybe pie is not that easy (at least not if you’re making your own crust), but this recipe is about as simple as it gets. I made the NYC mistake recently of stopping by a fruit stand while hungry and bought a ton of blueberries. 2 pints for $3-how could I not? Having lived here almost ten years, I should totally know better, but I guess we all have our weak moments. That said, if overbuying out-of-season fruit is the worst of it, I’m probably doing okay.
So yeah. That left me with lots of berries to use up. This dessert was a delicious solution. Enjoy topped with equally-easy homemade whipped cream, or—my favorite—add a spoonful of plain yogurt and a drizzle of honey.
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (sub whatever you like)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- Dash of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine blueberries, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a shallow baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, oats, sea salt, and cinnamon.
- Add coconut oil and vanilla to flour mixture to make crumble.
- Scatter crumble over berries.
- Bake until crumble topping is golden brown (crisp!) and fruit is bubbling, about 35-45 minutes.
Have you ever bought too much of something when you went shopping while hungry?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.