Happy Friday—it’s hazy and misty (when it’s not raining buckets) here in NYC. Why did I blow-dry my hair this morning? Rookie mistake…If your plans include staying inside with a mug of tea and a book, allow me to live vicariously…It also happens to be the kind of morning that calls for a stick-to-your ribs breakfast. At least I got that one down.
This was an experiment gone very, very right, and I’ll definitely be making this again. The eggs is totally optional, but I find it adds extra staying power by upping the protein—key when you’ve got a busy day ahead.
I made mine ahead of time in a double-batch and reheated each serving, but below is what you need for one bowl.
Zucchini Bread Oatmeal
- 1/3 c oats
- 1 c water (more if needed)
- 1/2 cup finely grated zucchini (more is ok too)
- 1 /2 banana, sliced
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg or 1/2 cup liquid egg whites
- Bring water to a boil. Add oats, flax, cinnamon.
- Reduce heat and add banana and zucchini. Stir frequently, breaking up bits of fruit. Allow to cook until liquid is absorbed and banana and zucchini are soft. In the last two minutes, add vanilla.
- If using egg or egg white, whisk in for a minute or two until oats are fluffy and the egg is cooked through.
- Enjoy warm and topped with whatever does it for you—I went with sunflower seed butter.
What’s your favorite rainy-day breakfast?
Related: How To Add Egg Whites To Oatmeal
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.