When I was in South Carolina last weekend for a girls’ trip, we had a great lunch at a seafood place where they had some delicious appetizers. My favorite, by far, was a fried green tomato caprese salad with goat cheese instead of the usual mozzarella—it’s probably a good thing we were sharing. I could have easily polished it off on my own and filled up before my main course even arrived.
Over the weekend, I was working on an article about zucchini noodle recipes, and I couldn’t resist making a caprese-inspired concoction. I could not be happier with the results. For a flavor upgrade, swap your basic balsamic for a thick, concentrated variety and drizzle on top for a striking color contrast.
Goat Cheese Caprese Salad
- 2 medium zucchini, spiralized
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces goat cheese, sliced or crumbled
- Fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss zucchini, tomatoes, goat cheese, and basil together.
- Divide between 4 plates. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic over each. Season with salt and pepper.
To make this more of a meal, feel free to add some beans (I did cannellini beans with this and loved it!) or some chicken or shrimp.
Do you ever get recipe inspiration from restaurant meals?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.