Crostini are one of my favorite party appetizers. They look so pretty and offer tons of room for creativity. This recipe was actually inspired by a conversation about how challenging it can be for someone on a gluten-free or grain-free diet to find something to eat when it comes to appetizers and cocktail parties. So often, you’ve got stuff on bread, stuff on crackers, stuff on toast points…kind of a problem if you don’t eat bread.
How awesome would it be to have a delicious, easy alternative? Enter: Sweet potato crostini.
If turning a shade of Presidential orange were of no concern, I’d probably eat sweet potato every day. I’ve been a fan of sweet potato toast for a long time, and it’s kind of ridiculous it took me long to try this twist. I almost always go savory, so I thought it would be fun to mix things up a bit. I chose skyr for its thick, creamy texture and refreshingly tart taste. You could also use plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or ricotta. The high protein content also helps this do double-duty as breakfast. Also awesome: No refined sugar.
I hope you love this!
Sweet Potato Maple Skyr Crostini
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 large sweet potato, sliced thin (about 1/4-inch)
- 3/4 cup plain skyr
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon plus more garnish
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking oil spray. Place sweet potato slices on baking sheet. Bake at 425 until sweet potato is tender inside and just beginning to brown on the surface or about 15 minutes, turning once partway through. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together skyr, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and 2 teaspoons of the maple syrup.
- Spread skyr mixture evenly over sweet potato slices. Garnish each slice with a drizzle of maple syrup and more cinnamon if desired.
What is your favorite crostini topping?
***Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.