When the folks at Brightcore Nutrition reached out to me about trying their TrueFood Nutrition Supplement, I was intrigued. Though I consider myself a “food-first” dietitian, I’m fascinated by supplements, especially the food-based formulations. I’ve tried a number of so-called superfood powders, but find many of them taste like death and cause all kinds of GI unpleasantries. I was pleasantly surprised by these, though.
I’ve been enjoying the chocolate flavor shaken up with water as I’m getting ready in the morning. It makes that stretch between gym, shower, and breakfast way more bearable. The green flavor is also good with water or in a smoothie, but I had some fun playing around with it in cooked ingredients. I was inspired by a quiche recipe on the company website and decided to make a frittata.
The verdict? Totally nailed it. Here’s what I did.
- 1 Scoop TrueFood Original Superfood Formula
- 2 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1-2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil or oil spray
- 1 shallot, sliced into thin strips
- 2 summer squash, sliced into half-moons
- 2 Cups Baby Spinach
- 1/2 Cup Feta or Goat Cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Herbes de Provence
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray lightly an 8-inch baking dish with olive oil cooking spray; set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together TrueFood Original Superfood Powder, eggs and egg whites and set aside.
- Heat oil or spray in a large skillet over a medium-high heat; add shallot and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add squash and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Spread the vegetables to the prepared baking dish and pour the egg mixture ontop. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake until set, about 25-30 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
I like this with a side salad, but you could also pair it with some cooked veggies or crostini.
Do you have a go-to vitamin/supplement?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.