Happy Wednesday. I hope you’re enjoying a wonderful week so far. Ready for a little birthday-themed What I Ate Wednesday? As always, many thanks to the lovely Jenn of Peas & Crayons for hosting the weekly link party. Take a visit to see more WIAW from other bloggers!
I don’t know about you, but over the years, my birthdays have been so different from one another. Last year was a lot of fun, and the year before was nice and relaxing. 25 was just kind of sad and bizarre—I knew I wanted some big changes to happen, and I knew those changes were not going to be easy—even if I made it sound all sunshine & vegan rainbows in my post about it. If memory serves, 24 was objectively lame, but surprisingly, I didn’t even mention it on ye olde blog. Haha that means it must have been pretty awful! I do have to say that it was a real trip for me to go back in time and see how this site has evolved over the years!
This year started with an early hot yoga class with my mom. Part of me was annoyed that the instructor (who opened the class by rapping—I kid you not) kept picking on me, but I told myself that her comments were intended to be helpful, not hurtful. I actually managed to surprise myself a few times with poses I’d never been able to get into before, so hey.
After getting packed up and ready, my mom and I headed into the city, where we grabbed lunch at Le Pain Quotidien and then set about working on a few things around my apartment—hanging pictures and a couple wind chimes and brainstorming some ways for me to rearrange the furniture to improve the flow of energy. I know, I know, but I think that stuff can make a huge difference!
A little later, we met up with my dad and sister for dinner at The Smith, where we enjoyed a lot of delicious food and drink. My dad got a kick out of the fact that I have a favorite bourbon. My dad barely drinks at all, but he thought it was so hilarious, he said that if I got a bourbon he would get a shot of tequila. So that happened. At the end of the meal, they actually got away with telling the server to put a candle in the cake. And a lollipop—nothing says, “You’re getting old, kid” like a glorified bank lollipop.
After dinner, my sister and I hit up the sale at Urban Outfitters and went to a concert. It was the perfect way to spend my birthday this year. And here’s the reason d’être of this post: what I ate.
- Breakfast: Made some pumpkin cranberry oatmeal at my parents’…and poured it into a too-small bowl. Whoops!
- Snack: Leftover squash & greens
- Lunch: My mom and I split two salads: one was the quinoa tabouleh, and the other was a smoked salmon one—so good!
- Snack: Split this chia pod with my mom. It was new to both of us, and we agreed it was delicious!
- Dinner: Started with prosecco, oysters, and fried calamari with marinara; For my main course I enjoyed filet mignon with salad and some of the brussels sprouts we ordered for the table. Oh, and bourbon. I like mine neat.
- Dessert: A few bites of this delicious chocolate cake. I also tasted the toffee pudding (I think that’s what it was) my sister ordered.
All in all, it was a really good day, complete with delicious food.
What’s been your favorite birthday so far?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.